ARL Statement to scholarly publishers on the global economic crisis
A little late, but interesting reading, ARL published mid-February a statement to publishers regarding research libraries and the global economic crisis. The document lists a few of the effects the economic crisis has on research libraries:
- current and future -possibly permanent -budget cuts
- cancellation of ongoing commitments
- bigger preference of electronic over print
- shortening of “long tail” collection development
- changes in pricing models, which affects mostly negatively the bigger institutions.
ARL then makes recommendations to scholarly publishers about pricing, contract terms and renegociation, swith to electronic only, archiving, open access, and consultation with libraries.