Chief Librarian — Space Telescope Science Institute — Baltimore, MD 21218
All employment listings are quoted from the source document, website, or listserv post.
Far-distant galaxies from the beginning of time. Fiery stars born in clouds of gas and dust. You’ve seen the pictures; now be a part of the history. Join the team that operates and manages the Hubble Space Telescope and its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope. Experience the wonder of 21st century space exploration in a job that offers a competitive salary and generous benefits. The Space Telescope Science Institute is located on the Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, Md.
The Space Telescope Science Institute currently has a staff of 400 active in astronomical research, software development, complex information systems support, and education and public outreach programs. STScI’s library is an essential part of the research and technical environment of the Institute. STScI is seeking an innovative and resourceful individual for the position of Chief Librarian. Duties and responsibilities of the Chief Librarian include:
* Managing the library’s diverse collection of journals, conference proceedings, monographs, and reference materials.
* Managing an acquisition budget, planning acquisitions in all topic areas of interest to STScI, and securing subscriptions on the most cost-effective basis.
* Maintaining a database of scholarly publications related to Hubble Space Telescope observations and tracking publication trends and statistics.
* Supervising and training library support staff.
* Informing STScI staff of changes to holdings, availability of services, and access to resources through e-mail and a library web site.
* Supporting staff in utilizing library resources (traditional and electronic).
* Developing plans for electronic information management and optimizing access to electronic information resources such as abstract and citation services.
* Demonstrating leadership in a broader sense through participation in professional organizations in the library and information services community, both at the national and international level.
*_Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:_*
Candidates should have extensive experience in the use of scientific information location and access services, and should be able to utilize and integrate new technologies into the library. Supervisory and/or administrative experience and familiarity with astronomical research materials and resources are desirable. Candidates should be proficient in a modern computing environment (word processing, database management, spreadsheets), including use of Internet resources and Web content creation and management. Proficiency with LOC classification, AACR2, OCLC, and SIRSI are required.
A master’s degree in library science from an accredited ALA institution and a minimum of five years’ experience in a research library are required.
*Note: * Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for the stated qualifications may be considered.
STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Applications received by December 1, 2006 will receive full consideration. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit a letter describing your interest and experience, a CV, and names of at least three references we may contact to:
Space Telescope Science Institute
ATTN: Human Resources, Req #536
3700 San Martin Drive
Baltimore, MD 21218
Or, e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org